Teacher Training Questions
1. What differentiates the Prana Flow 200 Hour yoga teacher training program from other programs?
- Ananda Shala's yoga teacher training program is a Shiva Rea Prana Flow® Affiliate program. This yoga teacher training is revered, as one of the top programs in the country. Immersing in this level of training in a small town such as Frederick is a tremendous opportunity for those without budgets to travel. Ananda Shala's yoga teacher training director, Maria Garre is also the yoga teacher training director for Shiva Rea Samudra Living School of Yoga, an Ayurvedic practioner and master yoga instructor. With her masters in Education, Maria translates her very vast knowledge in a way that you will clearly understand and take with you. This is an opportunity to immerse into Prana Flow® yoga (a form of vinyasa yoga) and truly experience, embrace and learn this form of yoga from the ground up.
This program includes:
- Yoga master classes with 15-18 sequences given in addition to sequences created on your own
- Basic Ayurveda and daily Ayurvedic practices to support your daily flow and life balance
- Philosophy meditation & pranayama with Maria Garre and guest international instructors.
- Anatomy, energetic alignment and hands-on assists
- Living Yoga Sadhana to further support your yoga, mediation and pranayama practices on and off the mat.
- Master Class taught by Prana Flow creator Shiva Rea in Frederick MD (when available)
2. What exactly is Prana Flow® Yoga?
- Prana: "life-force of creation" Flow: the state of unified consciousness
- Prana Flow® is an energetic, creative, full-spectrum approach to embodying the flow of yoga cultivated by Shiva Rea and the Global Vinyasa Collective of Teachers. Students of all levels are empowered to experience prana - the universal source of breath, life-energy and conscious intelligence - as the navigating source of yoga practice and vital living. Practitioners learn classical and innovative approaches to vinyasa yoga and the state of flow drawn from Krishnamacharya's teachings, Tantra, Ayurveda, Bhakti, Somatics and Shiva's teaching experience from the last fifteen years.
- Prana Flow® is a registered trademark of Prana Vinyasa
to learn more about shiva rea & prana flow yoga – visit www.shivarea.com
3. What differentiates Prana Flow® from other vinyasa styles of yoga?
- Classes are ritual sadhanas (a groove to one's self). Prana Flow® classes are breath inspired journeys that offer a complete spectrum (ha-tha) of rhythms from meditative and rejuvenating to the challenging and empowering. The wave of a class is created through cycles of creative sequences (vinyasas) linked together through the breath wave. Every class is well rounded, following the mandala of the body and asanas to create whole body transformation of strength and fluidity, circulation and centering.
- In our yoga teacher training program, you will learn how to create an "experience" in your own practice or for your students rather than simply teaching postures. As yoga instructors, we help guide our students toward their full potential through deep connection to the breath, multi-dimensional intuitive sequencing that progresses toward a peak posture and the use of effective, safe and connected vinyasa krama (stages of postures). Also learn Shiva Rea's signature 3-Part Vinyasa® method that will transform yoga postures into an energetic awareness that helps us find our internal connection to prana.
4. What differentiates the Gentle yoga teacher training program from other programs?
- A powerful form of yoga, Bala is not a power yoga. This yoga teacher training program finds its differentiation in the spaces of renewal. The emphasis is on strong, stabilizing movement within a gentle current. The patterns of therapeutic application of yoga, kind and thoughtful sequencing for all ages, creatively using props to empower range of motion and structural stability, and stepping deep in rejuvenative practices, this training is aimed at someone seeking a soothing stream of study and a future of offering a nutritive and calming practice as a yoga teacher.
- This program includes:
- An environment that supports radical empowerment and soulful transformation.
- Yoga master classes with solid methodology to confidently create your own mindful and thoughtful class active based class sequences, in addition to the 15 - 25 we will practice together.
- Understanding and application of the Anjali Restorative Spinal Sequence.
- Basic understanding of Pranayama and its effective application in yoga sadhana (practice) both movement and restorative based.
- Basic meditation techniques to apply to your own practice and confidently shared in future classes. We will engage the art of guided meditation to support your future students.
- Confidence weaving a meaningful theme through the structural, key actions of each class.
- Comparative yoga philosophy and understanding of your yoga world view and its relevance in contemporary yoga. How you will frame your classes will depend greatly on how you view your yoga!
- Anatomy, energetic alignment,therapeutic aims, proper prop use and confident-supportive hands-on adjustments
- 3 months of Embody, an on line inspiration spring board community to inspire and continue your personal and teaching study of yoga
5. What exactly is Bala Gentle Yoga?
Bala means strength in Sanskrit. That does not mean ones goal is physical strength. Often that is a happy accident, a natural unfolding of well-aligned,gentle patterning that the physical body gains the opportunity to memorize and adopt as normal, natural and status quo. Yoga works. It will work on you at a greater level when you let it line you up to your natural capacity to adapt, allow, and transform. What is at stake for us is not accomplishment, it is alignment to the highest aim of self renewal.
We will explore deep spaces of well aligned, pervasive, slow, and well patterned yoga as well as the restorative flow that offers spaces of empowered ease and healing.
You will marvel, as you watch your own body shift as you learn to shift attention of unnecessary gripping or straining.
BalaYoga® is a registered trademark of Embodied Poetry and Shannon Paige's site to learn more about Shannon Paige and the body of work of Embodied Poetry, its aims and influences, please visit www.embodiedpoetry.com
6. What differentiates Bala Gentle Yoga® from other styles of yoga?
Each session is aimed at absolute healing integrity and inspires and encourages the instructor to nourish and support with dual modalities of : yoga asanas sequenced in a healing, relevant, progressive sequencing, and the methods and methodology of Anjali Restorative Yoga.
In this yoga teacher training program, one will gain the confidence to provide a pervasive and meaningful expression of your unique interests, goals, and life experience.
7. What are the differences between the 200/300/500 hour Prana Flow yoga programs?
- 200 hour: For those do not currently have a 200 hour certificate through Yoga Alliance. We offer a 9-month program as well as a 10-day intensive summer immersion. Students will learn how to teach all the fundamentals of Prana Flow® Yoga (multi-dimensional sequencing) philosophy, history, Ayurveda, asanas (postures), pranayama (breathwork), meditation, alignment, assists & adjustments etc.
Click here to read more about the 200-hour program.
- 300 hour: For those who have already completed a 200 hour program (either Prana Flow® Yoga or any other 200 hour program). This is an opportunity to take your study further and deeper with a flexible pay-as-you-go program. This program allows you the flexibility to study with Maria or Shiva all over the world or obtain all of your hours right in Frederick, MD. National and international yoga, meditation and pranayama instructors teach right here in Frederick, MD including: Shiva Rea, Lorin Roche PhD, Chris Thompkins along with others.
Click here to see upcoming teacher training workshops.
- 500 hour: This program is simply a combination of our 200 and 300 hour programs.
8. How do I register for Ananda Shala's yoga teacher training?
- Sign up by filling out an application and submit initial or full payment. Early bird rates available.
- Ananda Shala will notify each student registered at least one month prior to the training's start date if he/she has been accepted into the program.
9. What books/materials are required for the training?
- Please find a current list of required books listed within our 200-hour yoga teacher training page. Click here.
- For each 300-hour teaching training module, required books and materials are listed within the program details.
10. How proficient in yoga do you have to be to do the program?
- We recommend at least one year of yoga experience; however, please email or call us if you have any questions. Exceptions are always possible.
11. What are the teacher training instructor bios and qualifications?
12. What are the program hours and breaks for each program?
- 200-Hour / 9-Month Session: The 200 hour program meets on nine weekends in an eight month cycle. The schedule typically holds the following hours on select weekends: Fridays 5pm-9pm, Saturday 8am-5pm, and Sunday 8am-4pm. There is usually a morning short break, long lunch (@ 1.5 hours), and short break in the afternoon. The schedule will vary depending on the agenda for each day.
- 200-Hour / 10-Day Intensive Summer Immersion:
Hours are as follows: 1st Friday: 4pm-9pm; Saturday: 8am-5pm; Sunday: 8am-4pm; Mon-Fri mid-week: 8am-8pm; Saturday: 8am-5pm; Sunday: 8am-4pm
13. What should I bring with me to the teacher training weekends?
- Below is list of items you should bring with you:
- Yoga teacher training binder (given to you at first session)
- Om work (any completed assignments)
- Books assigned to that weekend's topic
- Wear comfortable clothes
- Yoga mat and water bottle/mug
- Pen/pencil/paper or ipad etc.
- A change of clothes (optional)
- Snacks /Lunch (optional) These items can be purchased in downtown Frederick and stored in the Ananda Shala refrigerator
14. What if I miss a class and how can I make it up?
- If you plan to miss a session, please email Maria Garre directly. She will work with you to make up the hours.
15. How much homework will I have?
- Plan extra time for your yoga studies. These will include reading, assisting and attending classes along with journal writing and assigned projects.
16. How do I obtain my certification?
17. Will I be qualified to teach yoga once I complete the 200-Hour Teacher Training Program?
- Yes, you will be qualified to teach after completion of the 200-hour teacher training program.
18. How do I continue my training after I complete my 200-hour at Ananda Shala?
- Ananda Shala offers a 300-hour level program to continue your training; however, many of the workshops/modules are also open to those who do not wish to obtain their 300-hour certificate.
19. What is Ananda Shala's contact information?
20. What is the refund policy for the program?
- Registration fee is refundable prior to the start date of the program.
- No refunds will be given once a student has started his/her program.
- For individual training modules, we offer a 48-hour cancellation less a 5% administrate fee.